This Memorial Day weekend resulted in almost 400 traffic-related offenses. This number more than doubled last year's statistics for roadway offenses.
Holiday weekends bring more people to the City of Atlanta as well as the Metro Atlanta area. This increase in volume leads to an increase in traffic violations and offenses. As an Atlanta DUI Lawyer, I handle all types of traffic violations from DUI to vehicular homicide in Georgia.
Atlanta DUI Laws
DUI is defined by the Georgia Code in O.C.G.A. §40-6-391 as:
(a) A person shall not drive or be in actual physical control of any moving vehicle while:
(1) Under the influence of alcohol to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(2) Under the influence of any drug to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(3) Under the intentional influence of any glue, aerosol, or other toxic vapor to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(4) Under the combined influence of any two or more of the substances specified in paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(5) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time within three hours after such driving or being in actual physical control from alcohol consumed before such driving or being in actual physical control ended; or
(6) Subject to the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance, as defined in Code Section 16-13-21, present in the person's blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person's breath or blood.
As you can see the law behind DUI is much more complicated than people think. Typically people are under the impression that DUI only applies to when people are driving under the influence of alcohol. This could not be further from the truth. Georgia DUI Laws are some of the most complicated and harsh in the country.
If you or a loved one has been arrested for DUI in Atlanta - or any other serious traffic violation, contact our offices today. An Atlanta DUI Attorney can help you with your case now.
Atlanta DUI Penalties should not be risked or faced without representation.
Our firm has over 50 years of combined experience and can discuss all of your options today. Call now.